Oneida Logo Oneida Logo
Oneida Logo Oneida Logo

Welcome! Log In or Register

You have no items in your shopping cart.

Timeline

A Company
is Born

The Hocking Glass Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohion on November 2, 1905 for the purpose of manufacturing plain and decorated, pressed, blown, machine, hotel, bar and kitchen tableware, tumblers, stemware, illuminating glassware, packers ware, glass novelties and specialities. Its plant and headquarters were located in Lancaster, Ohio.

A Second
Header is Born

The Hocking Glass Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohion on November 2, 1905 for the purpose of manufacturing plain and decorated, pressed, blown, machine, hotel, bar and kitchen tableware, tumblers, stemware, illuminating glassware, packers ware, glass novelties and specialities. Its plant and headquarters were located in Lancaster, Ohio.

And so on...

The Hocking Glass Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohion on November 2, 1905 for the purpose of manufacturing plain and decorated, pressed, blown, machine, hotel, bar and kitchen tableware, tumblers, stemware, illuminating glassware, packers ware, glass novelties and specialities. Its plant and headquarters were located in Lancaster, Ohio.
 
1905 | The Hocking Glass company was founded by I.J. Collins and E.B. Good, in Lancaster, Ohio.
1923 | First I.S. machine installed in Salem Glass Works.
1924 | Plant No. 1 of The Hocking Glass Company destroyed by fire.
1924 | Lascaster Glass Company and The Standard Glass Manufacturing Company are partially acquired by The Hocking Glass company.
1925 | New York City becomes the largest city in the world, taking the lead from London
1926 | The United States Congress passes the Air Commerce Act
 

The history of Anchor Hocking is a story of a company that started small, but grew through initiative and desire on the part of its founders and employees.  Isaac J. Collins founded the Hocking Glass Company in 1905 in Lancaster, Ohio. The company name comes from the Hocking River which flows nearby.

The Hocking Glass Company got its start with $25,000 that was raised by Mr. Collins. The company started small with just 50 employees housed in an old carbon plant, called the “Black Cat”, so named because its walls were blackened with carbon dust.

The first year, $20,000 worth of glassware was sold.

Fire destroyed the “Black Cat” in March of 1924, throwing some 650 employees out of work. The employees, townspeople, fireman all worked together to battle the fire, but by morning all that remained were five acres of ashes and rumble.

The dusty old carbon plant was destroyed, but not the spirit of Hocking Glass, by the end of the following day, the Company had set up temporary offices in a vacant grocery store.

Hocking Glass purchased controlling interest in the Lancaster Glass Company in April 1924 and used its facilities to meet shipping requirements. At the time of its purchase by Hocking, Lancaster Glass had one continuous tank and one day-tank. While Plant 1 was being rebuilt over the ashes of the “Black Cat”, Hocking was producing and shipping from Lancaster Glass. This purchase later became known as Plant 2.

Plant 1 was in production by October, 1924, just six months after the fire. This time the plant was more conducive to glass manufacturing. Today, in the year, 2012 the Anchor Hocking Company stands in the original sight.

The company became the Anchor Hocking Corporation on December 21, 1937, with the merger of the Hocking Glass Company and subsidiaries and Anchor Cap Corporation and its subsidiaries. The “Anchor” came from the phrase that caps “were anchored for safety.

The depression Era saw another revolution in machine-made glassware. The Company knew that it had to produce tumblers as cheaply and quickly as possible if they wanted to sell in volume. Wilbur Secoy and William Fisher, both company employees designed and built a rotary 15-mold machine that could make 90 pieces of blown glassware a minute. With that machine (called the FS for Fisher and Secoy) the Company could sell tumblers “two-for-a –nickel,” which was less than half of what it formerly cost.

During the next 50 years The Anchor Hocking Corporation grew through acquisitions and mergers to become a diversified manufacturer making consumer and industrial products sold around the world.

 

1905
The history of Anchor Hocking is a story of a company that started small, but grew through initiative and desire on the part of its founders and employees.  Isaac J. Collins founded the Hocking Glass Company in 1905 in Lancaster, Ohio. The company name comes from the Hocking River which flows nearby.

1924
Fire destroyed the manufacturing facility in March of 1924, throwing some 650 employees out of work. The employees, townspeople, fireman all worked together to battle the fire, but by morning all that remained were five acres of ashes and rumble.

Hocking Glass purchased controlling interest in the Lancaster Glass Company in April 1924 and used its facilities to meet shipping requirements. At the time of its purchase by Hocking, Lancaster Glass had one continuous tank and one day-tank.

1937
The company became the Anchor Hocking Corporation on December 21, 1937, with the merger of the Hocking Glass Company and subsidiaries and Anchor Cap Corporation and its subsidiaries. The “Anchor” came from the phrase that caps “we're anchored for safety".

1987
During the next 50 years The Anchor Hocking Corporation grew through acquisitions and mergers to become a diversified manufacturer making consumer and industrial products sold around the world.

On July 1, 1987, Anchor Hocking became a member of the Newell Group. Since then the manufacturing operations of the consumer glass division have been consolidated into this facility and a second manufacturing plant in Monaca, Pennsylvania. The primary focus tableware, ovenware and various other household glass products for the high volume retail, specialty and foodservice businesses.

2004
Newell Rubbermaid sold Anchor Hocking to Cerberus Investment Group; Global Home Products is formed comprising Anchor Hocking, WearEver Cookware and Burns of Boston Picture Frames.

2007
April, 2007 Monomoy Capital Partners, LLC purchases Anchor Hocking.

2008
November 19, 2008 Monomoy Capital Partners acquired Indiana Glass Company and E.O. Brody Company from Lancaster Colony Corporation.
March 2008 E.O. Brody sold to Syndicate Sales. Sapulpa, OK plant closed. Processes moved to Lancaster, Ohio.

2011
November 1, 2011 Monomoy Capital Partners acquired Oneida ltd.

2012
April 2012 –EveryWare, Inc. becomes the corporate parent of the newly-merged Anchor Hocking and Oneida Companies.

2013
May 2013-EveryWare Global, Inc. goes public.